KilkilveryCivil Parish : Kilkilvery.
County : Galway
Poor Law Union : Tuam
Barony : Clare
O.S. Maps : Galway - 41 . 42 . 56
R.C. Parish : Headford
R.C. Diocese : Tuam
R.C. Church : Headford
Marriage Records : 1844
Baptism records : 1844
Official O.S. townlandsTownland names in this parish officially recognised since Griffiths Valuation
- Headford T.
Placenames whose locations are unknown(B&M) :: Mentioned in the parish baptism and marriage records but locations unknown.
(PA) :: Places mentioned in The Survey and Distribution book and Petty's Atlas(1641..1703).
(TA) :: Places mentioned in The Tithe Applotment book (1825-35).
- None yet (B&M)
- None yet (PA)
- None yet (TA)
Archealogical ,Geographical and Islands.(A) :: Archealogical features associated with the parish
(G) :: Geographical features in this parish.
(I) :: Islands off shore from this parish.
- None yet (A)
- None yet (G)
- None yet (I)
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837.The Kilkilvery entry in Lewis Topographical Dictionary of 1837
A parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Headfort to Tuam ; containing, with part of the post-town of Headfort, 1330 inhabitants.
The seats are
Ross Lodge, the residence of W J Blake, Esq.; and
Lysdonagh, of - O'Flaherty, Esq.
The living is a rectory, and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, episcopally united to the rectories and vicarages of Killeny, Killursa, Kilcoona, Killower, Donaghpatrick, and Carrigin, together forming the union of Headfort, in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £110. 18.0 1/2., and those of the whole union-to £1094. 6. 9 1/2.
The church, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently, granted £130, is a neat edifice in the town of Headfort. The glebe-house is a neat residence, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of the union or district of Headfort, comprising also the parishes of Killeny and Killursa, and containing a chapel here and another in Killeny. There is a private school, in which about 120 children are taught.
A market and post-town, partly in the parish of KILKILVERY, but chiefly in that of KILLURSA, barony of CLARE county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 16 miles (N.) from Galway, and 107 3/4 (W.) from Dublin containing 1441 inhabitants.
This is a neat and clean town having been much improved by its proprietor, R.J. Maasergh St. George, Esq.; it has a considerable trade, and commands fine views of Lough Corrib, and the mountains of Joyces' country and Mayo.
It comprises 217 houses, is a chief constabulary police station, and has petty sessions on Mondays ; here is also a dispensary. Bobbin lace, coarse linen, and fannel are made.
The market is on Tuesday, and fairs are held on May l lth and Oct. 14th.
Headford Castle is the residence of R. J. M. St. George, Esq.; it is a handsome modern building, erected on the ruins of the ancient castle ; the extensive demesne, which is laid out with great taste, is entered from the town by a good gateway.
Here is also Clydagh House, the seat of G. Staunton Lynch, Esq.
In the neighbourhood are several raths ; and between the town and the shores of Lough Corrib are the rains of Ross abbey, partially covered with ivy. It was founded for Observantine Franciscans, in 1498, by Lord Granard, and a chapter of the order was held in it in 1509. At the suppression of religious houses it was granted to the Earl of Clanricarde. In 1604 it was repaired by the Catholics, and in 1812 the roof fell in; one of the windows is still perfect. Within this ruin is the burial-place of the Burke, Kirwan, Browne, and Lynch families.
In 1828, silver coins of the reigns from Hen. III. to Wm. III., copper coins of Jas. II. and his successor, military weapons and other relics were found near Headford Castle, and are now in the possession of Mr. Harrison.
Field Name books from 1840's
When searching for a placename type some or all of the word and click search. If you are unsure of the spelling try a part of the word . For example the placename Mocharra sounds like Moharra so if you search for arra you should find it. For example a placename record ( eg Rostaff ) gives the townland ( eg Moyne ) and the civil parish ( eg Shrule ) .