Local Placenames

Civil Parish record details , used pre 20th century ...later DED divisions are used in census records

Civil Parish

Civil Parish : Killursa.
County : Galway
Poor Law Union : Tuam
Barony : Clare
O.S. Maps : Galway - 40 . 41 . 42 . 54 . 55
R.C. Parish : Headford
R.C. Diocese : Tuam
R.C. Church : Claran
Marriage Records : 1880
Baptism records : 1880
Galway Library Field name book records
Official O.S. townlands
Townland names in this parish officially recognised since Griffiths Valuation
Placenames :: unofficial
Known locations other than official townlands where the geographical location is known.
Placenames whose locations are unknown
(B&M) :: Mentioned in the parish baptism and marriage records but locations unknown.
(PA) :: Places mentioned in The Survey and Distribution book and Petty's Atlas(1641..1703).
(TA) :: Places mentioned in The Tithe Applotment book (1825-35).
  • None yet (B&M)
  • None yet (PA)
  • None yet (TA)
Archealogical ,Geographical and Islands.
(A) :: Archealogical features associated with the parish
(G) :: Geographical features in this parish.
(I) :: Islands off shore from this parish.

  • None yet (A)
  • None yet (G)
  • None yet (I)

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837.

The Killursa entry in Lewis Topographical Dictionary of 1837


A parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with part of the post-town of Headford, 4612 inhabitants. It is situated on Lough Corrib, and contains a great quantity of bog and limestone.

The principal seats are

  • Ower, the residence of J. Burke, Esq.;
  • Clarren, of J. Brown, Esq.; and
  • Carnacrow, of W. Skerrett, Esq.

It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Headford; the tithes amount to £211. 10. 10 1/2.

In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Headford, and has a chapel, which was built in 1770 at an expense of £350.

About 1230 children are educated in three public schools, two of which are entirely supported by R. Mansergh St. George, Esq., and the rector, and to the other J. Burke, Esq., has given half an acre of land rent-free; and about 280 in six private schools.

Sir George Leonard Staunton, Bart., secretary to the British embassy to China, in 1793, of which he published an account, was a native of this place. Some battle-axes and javelins were found here a few years since.


A market and post-town, partly in the parish of KILKILVERY, but chiefly in that of KILLURSA, barony of CLARE county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 16 miles (N.) from Galway, and 107 3/4 (W.) from Dublin containing 1441 inhabitants.

This is a neat and clean town having been much improved by its proprietor, R.J. Maasergh St. George, Esq.; it has a considerable trade, and commands fine views of Lough Corrib, and the mountains of Joyces' country and Mayo.

It comprises 217 houses, is a chief constabulary police station, and has petty sessions on Mondays ; here is also a dispensary. Bobbin lace, coarse linen, and fannel are made.

The market is on Tuesday, and fairs are held on May l lth and Oct. 14th.

Headford Castle is the residence of R. J. M. St. George, Esq.; it is a handsome modern building, erected on the ruins of the ancient castle ; the extensive demesne, which is laid out with great taste, is entered from the town by a good gateway.

Here is also Clydagh House, the seat of G. Staunton Lynch, Esq.

In the neighbourhood are several raths ; and between the town and the shores of Lough Corrib are the rains of Ross abbey, partially covered with ivy. It was founded for Observantine Franciscans, in 1498, by Lord Granard, and a chapter of the order was held in it in 1509. At the suppression of religious houses it was granted to the Earl of Clanricarde. In 1604 it was repaired by the Catholics, and in 1812 the roof fell in; one of the windows is still perfect. Within this ruin is the burial-place of the Burke, Kirwan, Browne, and Lynch families.

In 1828, silver coins of the reigns from Hen. III. to Wm. III., copper coins of Jas. II. and his successor, military weapons and other relics were found near Headford Castle, and are now in the possession of Mr. Harrison.

Field Name books from 1840's

When searching for a placename type some or all of the word and click search. If you are unsure of the spelling try a part of the word . For example the placename Mocharra sounds like Moharra so if you search for arra you should find it. For example a placename record ( eg Rostaff ) gives the townland ( eg Moyne ) and the civil parish ( eg Shrule ) .

Find ::

Civil Parish details available :: 11

Shrule ,   Moorgagagh ,   Kilkilvery ,   Killursa ,   Killeany ,   Kilmainemore ,   Kilmainebeg ,   Kilconla ,   Donaghpatrick ,   Cong ,   Cargin ,